Ever as agile, ever as close to its communities, and ever as attuned to the reality of the current health and economic situation, SILMO has managed to adapt this year with an itinerant version HORS LES MURS (“Outside the Walls”) that sought out contact with French opticians in their local areas. After successful events in Paris, Bordeaux and Rennes, the recent health measures did not permit the last stopover in Lyon to occur.
However, the results were positive for the some 75 participating exhibitors, representing every profession in the industry (frames and lens manufacturers, equipment providers, and more), who came into contact with more than 2,000 French visitors. The convivial SILMO spirit played a supporting role to the industry’s enthusiasm and determination to gather, even though the gatherings were limited to smaller groups within France.
Building on the strength of this first Outside the Walls experience within France, SILMO plans to expand its event formats and showcase arenas to other markets, bringing a new dimension to the SILMO Family.
SILMO is obviously a business generator, but it is also more than ever a platform that fosters discussion, encounters and discovery, at the crossroads of innovation, creativity, information and trends, in the service of optics and eyewear professionals.
Even during this most peculiar year, SILMO managed to maintain everything that makes it so unique and attractive, asserting a strong commitment to face the future.
- The 27th edition of the SILMO d’OR awards did not disappoint the participants, with expert jury members crowning the talent of innovative and creative companies.
- Because the future is continually taking shape, an entirely digital version of SILMO NEXT continues to explore the optics world of tomorrow. This edition focuses on the challenges of ecology. The Futurology space offers a variety of perspectives on eco-design. A brand-new materials library lists the biosourced, recycled and recyclable materials that enable manufacturers to reduce the environmental impact of products. The Happy Revolutions space presents brands outside the optics industry that have successfully followed through on an ecological transition. Not to mention Agora, a space where professionals from a variety of horizons may express themselves and share their experiences.
- The latest edition of the digital magazine TRENDS by SILMO revealed the trends at the heart of this dynamic sector.
This edition was printed for the occasion and distributed at the various sessions of SILMO Outside the Walls. This special 2021 trend edition is, of course, still freely accessible on the website silmoparis.com.
- While it was not possible to pursue the SILMO ACADEMY seminar this year, the research does continue, and the members of the academy’s Scientific Committee received project submissions for a 10,000 grant, which was awarded to Dr Angelo Arleo of Institut de la Vision for a project entitled “Rôle de l’intégration visuo-podale dans l’orientation spatiale et la mobilité au cours du vieillissement” (“The role of visuo-podal integration in spatial orientation and mobility during ageing”).
In the current extraordinary situation, SILMO is turning the page of 2020 and already beginning to prepare the 2021 edition – a great event to be held at Paris-Nord Villepinte in September 2021 – and its year-long actions to stay in contact and support the optics and eyewear industry.
FUTURISSILMO is already taking shape, so follow it on silmoparis.com
Rundown of the 2020 SILMO d’OR award winners
TRENDY FASHION OPTICAL FRAMES
– Grosfilley France with « Tigris »
TRENDY FASHION SUNGLASSES
– Safilo with « Marc 451/S » de Marc Jacobs
DESIGNER OPTICAL FRAMES
– MasahiroMaruyama with « Monocle »
DESIGNER SUNGLASSES FRAMES
– Nathalie Blanc Paris with Chupa – 363
TECHNOLOGICAL INNOVATION FRAMES
– Frost Eyewear with « Jupiter »
– Lafont with « Hugo »
– Marcolin with « Competition SP0001 » d’Adidas
Hoya with « Hoya Miyosmart Vision »
MATERIAL / EQUIPMENT
Topcon with « Myah »
PREMIÈRE CLASSE SPECIAL PRIZE
Tarian with « « Sky Bar »
Enter the gallery of pictures here, to discover or re-discover SILMO 2020 Outside the Walls.